Shop Use Requirements
For all affiliates of CED (students, faculty, staff, and Alumni) desiring to use the fabrication shop, four requirements must be met:
- Pay Shop fees.
- Complete the Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreements.
- Complete the fabrication shop orientation.
- Have a valid access tag on your Cal1 ID card.
UCB or CED Undergraduate and UCB Graduates or CED MS Students:
Payment of Shop fees is mandatory for each semester (Fall-Spring-Summer) and is required before access may be granted. Payments can be made only at 477 Wurster Hall, and Credit Cards or PaperCut can be used to pay the fee, no checks or cash.
CED's MArch, MCP, MLA or MUD students:
No payment of shop fees is necessary for Fall or Spring semesters. Registration occurs at the CED Student Technology Services Center in 477 Wurster Hall, but need only occur once in the Fall.
Students in good standing who have attended a Fabrication Shop orientation session prior to the current semester are not necessarily required to attend additional Orientations. For such students, Cal1 ID cards may be validated for Shop access by a mechanician upon payment of Shop fees and completion of the Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement for the current semester. Access tags issued prior to the current term are void.
CED Faculty must follow sign-up and orientation procedures, but there are no additional fees associated with using the Shop in the Fall or Spring. Summer users are charged a use fee that is slightly larger than the student fees to better cover the costs of operations.
CED Staff and Alumni:
Current CED Staff and CED Alumni must follow sign-up and orientation procedures, and are charged a use fee that is slightly larger than the student fees to better cover the costs of operations.
How to Lose Shop Privileges
Actions that may result in the loss of your access privileges are listed below (these are not all inclusive, but are intended to provide examples). There are consequences of not following policies; based on the level of policy violation, access (without any refund) to Computer Labs, DFL and Shop access may be singularly or simultaneously revoked for the semester or year.
- Not following posted CED and UC Berkeley policies.
- Not following directions given by the Shop Manager or Shop Mechanicians.
- Allowing others to use the Shop without payment or proper safety orientation.
- Deliberately attempting to bypass approved safety processes.
- Deliberately attempting to degrade or disrupt systems or equipment performance.
All students and affiliates of CED who wish to use the Fabrication Shop must attend an orientation. Sessions are offered a limited number of times at the beginning of each term. Students failing to attend orientation will not be granted access for the duration of the term. Sessions are subject to cancellation in the event of insufficient enrollment, at the discretion of the presenter. Additional orientations may be added if all scheduled sessions are filled.
Please email shop manager Semar Prom (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on upcoming scheduled orientation sessions.
Orientations are participatory presentations in which students will practice the techniques demonstrated. Proper attire is required. Students not appropriately dressed will be asked to leave the facility and reschedule their session. A partial list of what is considered proper attire for orientation includes:
- Eye protection MUST BE WORN at all times during operations. Protective goggles are provided in the facility.
- Prescription glasses are NOT safety glasses. Additional eye protection must be worn over prescription eyewear.
- Tie back long hair securely.
- No open-toed shoes, flip-flops, sandals, ballerina flats, heels, or “TOMS.” Feet must be completely covered, and shoes must have non-slip soles.
- No shorts, skirts, dresses, culottes, or capris. Legs must be completely covered by long pants. Tights and leggings are not appropriate leg coverings.
- Remove jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, watches, rings, and earrings that dangle.
- No headphones, lanyards, scarves, or ties.
- No excessive or loose clothing.
Registered students who fail to attend scheduled orientation may forfeit their shop fees. To withdraw from a session without penalty or to reschedule, students must return to the shop and make arrangements prior to the beginning of the session for which they are registered. Students must arrive at their session on time. Late arrivals will be refused entry and may forfeit shop fees. Additionally, early departure from a session will disqualify a student from receiving an access.