History and Theory of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning
The minor in History and Theory of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning introduces students to conceptual issues of landscape architecture. Open to all majors at UC Berkeley except landscape architecture.
Note: Requirements for the minor are currently under review and are subject to change.
Instructions + Requirements
- Lower Division Requirements
- Upper Division Requirements
- Phased Out Courses
- A letter grade of C- or higher in ENV DES 1, LD ARCH 1, or LD ARCH 12 is required to declare the minor.
- To declare, complete the College of Environmental Design Request to Declare Minor Form from the “FORMS + DOCUMENTS” page. DEADLINE to submit form is one semester prior to a student’s final semester.
- Each course used to fulfill minor requirements must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- Students must earn a 2.0 GPA in the upper division requirements for the minor.
- CED Students: Any course used in fulfillment of minor requirements may also be used to fulfill major and upper division CED non-major requirements.
- CED Students: Courses used to fulfill a breadth requirement may also be used to satisfy minor requirements.
- Students may apply the non-CED version of a CED cross-listed course towards the minor.
- Students may use up to two courses taken abroad to fulfill upper division minor requirements, with faculty approval of the individual courses.
One of the following (a letter grade of C- or higher is required to declare the minor):
- ENV DES 1 (3) Introduction to Environmental Design
- LD ARCH 1 (4) Drawing a Green Future: Fundamentals of Visual Representation and Creativity
- LD ARCH 12 (4) Environmental Science for Sustainable Development
Select five additional courses from the following list; all must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher:
- LD ARCH 110 (3) Ecological Analysis
- LD ARCH 111 (3) Plants in Design
- LD ARCH 122 (4) Hydrology for Planners
- LD ARCH 130 (3) Sustainable Landscapes and Cities
- LD ARCH 140 (3) Social and Psychological Factors in Open Space Design
- LD ARCH 154 (3) Special Topics in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning (must be completed for 3 Units)
- LD ARCH 170 (3) History and Literature of Landscape Architecture
- LD ARCH C171 (3) The American Designed Landscape Since 1850 (F) (cross-listed with AMERSTD C171)
- LD ARCH C 177 (4) GIS and Environmental Spatial Analysis
- LD ARCH (4) C188 Geographic Information Systems
- LD ARCH 189 (3) Representation as Research: Contemporary Topics in Landscape Visualization
Below are courses that have been phased out of the History and Theory of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning minor. They may only be used if taken Spring 2017 or prior.
- LD ARCH 135 The Art of Landscape Drawing
- LD ARCH 136 Advanced Landscape Delineation
- LD ARCH 141 AC (3) The American Landscape: Multicultural Difference and Diversity