The Department of Architecture offers an undergraduate minor in architecture that is open to students in all majors at UC Berkeley except architecture. The purpose of this minor is to introduce students to the conceptual, technical, and design aspects of architecture.
See below for instructions on how to declare the minor. For your minor to be added to your transcript, you must file the CED minor completion form with the Office of Undergraduate Advising in 250 Wurster Hall during the semester in which you complete your last class for the minor.
|Faculty Adviser||Staff Adviser*|
382D Wurster Hall
250 Wurster Hall
* For paperwork and basic scheduling issues.
- A letter grade of C- or higher is required in ENV DES 1 to declare the minor. To declare, download and complete the Request to Add Minor Form from the Forms and Documents page on the CED website. Submit the petition to the Staff Adviser listed above.
- Each course used to fulfill minor requirements must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- Students must earn a 2.0 GPA in the upper division requirements for the minor.
- Any course used in fulfillment of minor requirements may also be used to fulfill major and upper division CED non-major requirements.
- Courses used to fulfill a breadth requirement may also be used to satisfy minor requirements.
- Students may apply the non-CED version of a CED cross-listed course towards the minor.
- Students may use up to two courses taken abroad to fulfill upper division minor requirements, with faculty approval of the individual courses.
Lower Division Requirements
- ENV DES 1 (3) Introduction to Environmental Design (a letter grade of C- or higher is required to declare the minor).
- ARCH DES 11A (4) Introduction to Visual Representation and Design
- ARCH DES 11B (5) Introduction to Design
Upper Division Requirements
A total of five courses must be completed as outlined below; all must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
ARCH 100A (6) Fundamentals of Architectural Design
ARCH 110AC (4) Social and Cultural Factors in Design or ARCH 130 (3) Design Theories and Methods
ARCH 140 (4) Building Environments or ARCH 150 (4) Structures or ARCH 160 (4) Construction and Materials
ARCH 170A (4) Historical Survey of Architecture and Urbanism or ARCH 170B (4) Historical Survey of Architecture and Urbanism
One additional upper division Architecture course (at least 2 units, letter grade only)