Please note: these deadlines are specific to the Summer Institute and vary from those listed on the Summer Sessions website. Most Summer Sessions deadlines do not apply to Summer Institute participants.
|Deadline||Domestic Students||International Students|
|Online Application Opens||December 15, 2018||same|
|Financial Aid Request Deadline||April 1||same|
|Online Application Deadline||EXTENDED TO JUNE 7||EXTENDED TO MAY 28|
|Deadline for International Students to Submit VSIS form and I-20 Documents||N/A||May 29|
|Cancellation Deadline for Full Refund*||June 7||same|
|Withdrawal Deadline for Summer Session Fee Refund Only**||July 7||same|
|Program Begins||July 8||same|
|Withdrawal Deadline without a refund||July 19||same|
|Program Ends||August 16||same|
* Contact the CED Summer Programs Office to cancel your enrollment by this date and you will receive a full refund of the $3,400 CED Program Fee and all Summer Sessions fees, minus a $100 cancellation fee. (For international students, the $330 I-20 Processing Fee is non-refundable.)
** Contact the CED Summer Programs Office to cancel your enrollment by this date and you will receive a refund of all Summer Sessions fees, minus a withdrawal fee. (For international students, the $330 I-20 Processing Fee is non-refundable.)
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy
CED reserves the right to cancel any course for which there is insufficient enrollment for a full refund, and to withdraw or modify course offerings.
Summer Institute Tuition and Fees
|Student Profile||Total Cost|
|Visiting Student, domestic||$4,458|
|Visiting Student, international||$6,988|
Tuition and Fees cover:
- access to Computer Labs
- licenses for required software
- a CalNet ID card for access to all University facilities
- print card
- some materials and supplies
- catered welcome and commencement events
- Clipper Card for free transportation on all Alameda County buses
- most transportation to and from site visits
Students are responsible for their own housing, meals, any additional supplies, and computer. Students should expect to spend an additional $250-300 on printing and materials.
A small number of partial, need-based stipends are available. Applicants can request a stipend on their slideroom application. Slideroom applications must be submitted by April 1 in order to be considered for a stipend. If the applicant is accepted, a link to the stipend application will be included in the acceptance letter.
Summer Institute program participants are strongly encouraged to live on campus, though this is not required. Students already living in the Bay Area may opt to commute to the Institute as a day program. Non-local students have several options for housing, some of which include meals. The following links will give you an idea of housing costs in the Berkeley area.
- We highly recommend Berkeley Student Co-op housing, and Cloyne Court in particular.
- International House: only a five-minute walk from Wurster Hall, International House has rooms available in the summer and they also offer meals.
- UC Berkeley dorms: Berkeley Residence Halls often have available rooms for visiting students during the summer sessions.
- Cal Rentals: this subscription service is set up specifically to help summer student visitors find sublets around campus. Email them after March 1 to request their Summer Housing Bulletin.
- CED Summer Programs Facebook Page: incoming Institute students use this page to trade house-hunting tips and share leads (by invitation only).
- Berkeley Lab Guest House: located on the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory campus, guests can access the UC Berkeley campus via shuttle bus, car, bicycle, or foot. It offers standard, large, and studio rooms.
- Craigslist: many summer students find sublets in the neighborhood - keep in mind that many more options become available during the summertime.
- Summer Sessions maintains a list of non-UC affiliated housing options.
PLEASE NOTE: UC Berkeley's summer Residence Halls fill up fast. Residency priority is given to Institute students who apply early in the spring.