- High school students who will be seniors in fall 2019, and exceptional students who will be juniors in fall 2019.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Applicants whose official language of instruction is not English must demonstrate English proficiency as described on the UC Berkeley Summer Sessions website.*
A strong embARC application contains the following:
- A thoughtful, articulate response to the Statement of Intent prompt.
- Transcripts and GPA that show evidence of academic rigor and intellectual curiosity.
- A letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well that attests to the quality of your character in at least one of the following areas: social, academic, intellectual, creative.
- English language proficiency (both in terms of exam scores and caliber of the written statement).
To be considered for the program, you must submit the following by the application deadline:
- Completed embARC online application with essay.
- $50 application fee.
- High school transcripts that include all grades from 9th grade through the fall semester preceding your application.
- Letter of recommendation from a high school guidance counselor, teacher, principal or community leader.
International students must submit their applications by Monday, April 22.
Domestic students must submit their applications by Wednesday, May 1.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in mid-February. Early submissions are welcomed. Only complete applications will be reviewed. We will notify all applicants of the status of their application via email. If you are accepted for admission to the program, you will receive detailed instructions on how to register through UC Berkeley Summer Sessions.
If you are sitting for a language exam and will not receive the results before the international application deadline, please take a Duolingo test and upload your score to slideroom to complete your application. We encourage you to review this information to determine whether you qualify for an English Proficiency Requirement waiver.