Academic Planning

Where can I study abroad and take courses related to CED majors?

Many of the Berkeley Study Abroad partner universities have departments/programs related to Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Design and Sustainability and City Planning, or offer relevant courses through other departments. Below is a sample of programs with courses related to the built environment. Please note, this is only a small sample and not inclusive of all available options.

Where have CED students studied abroad? See here

  • University of Sydney, Australia
  • Pontifical Catholic University of Chile
  • University of Copenhagen, Denmark
  • University College London, England
  • Free University of Berlin, Germany
  • National University of Singapore
Berkeley Summer Abroad
  • Imagining and Re-Envisioning the Urban Setting: Guardamar, Spain
  • Business Innovation for Sustainability, Social Responsibility and Positive Impact: Geneva, Switzerland
Berkeley Global Internships
  • Singapore
  • Sydney, Australia 
  • Hong Kong, China
  • Paris, France
  • England
UC Summer Abroad

UC Davis

  • Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona: Barcelona, Spain
  • GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon: Bhutan
  • Design in Europe: York, Edinburgh, and London, United Kingdom; Utrecht, Netherlands 
  • Design Japan: JapanEurope, Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe
Independent Programs (typically minimal financial aid)
  • SIT: International Honors Program (IHP): Cities in the 21st Century (School for International Training), Multi-destinations
  • Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS), Copenhagen and Stockholm
  • CIEE Global Institute, Berlin, Germany
What classes can I take? 

Students can take classes related to their personal interests outside of their major and degree requirements by studying abroad. Some students choose to use the opportunity to learn a new language or deepen their knowledge in areas they know they will not learn from their major. Alternatively, students can take courses for units towards graduation and/or to complete specific degree requirements such as CED’s seven course breadth, upper division college requirements or major requirements. 

International Studies breadth is satisfied with a passing grade in any 3 unit course for any study abroad program as long as the units are transferable to UC Berkeley. 

Pre-approved Course Lists  

Courses approved for CED breadth requirements 
View UCB Campus Credit Abroad Database here


Courses approved for CED College & Major Requirements (not breadth)
View Database of pre-approved courses here 

Non UCEAP (Berkeley Summer Abroad, UC Davis Summer Abroad, Independent Programs) 

View a list of pre-approved courses here 

How do I get courses reviewed and approved?

Students interested in having study abroad courses reviewed to satisfy degree requirements, must complete our CED Course Substitution Online Form here. Students will hear of the decision via email, typically within 2-4 weeks. If you have questions about this process after reviewing the form, please meet with a CED Academic Advisor in 250 Wurster Hall

What are CED’s academic policies related to study abroad?

Semester Limit

  • Students admitted as freshmen must graduate within eight fall/spring semesters at UC Berkeley. Students admitted as transfer students must graduate within four fall/spring semesters at UC Berkeley. UCEAP study abroad programs count towards this semester limit; study abroad through non-UC programs do not. Students are allowed a ninth semester or fifth semester as a transfer student to study abroad, if they have an approved graduation plan signed by a CED Advisor.

Fulfilling Requirements with Transfer Coursework 

Students may use transfer work, including courses taken via Study Abroad, to fulfill CED requirements, within the following limits:

  • Upper Division Major Requirements: Up to two courses taken elsewhere may be applied, if deemed transferable by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and approved by the faculty adviser for your major. 
  • Upper Division CED Outside the Major: Up to two courses taken elsewhere may be applied, if deemed transferable by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and approved by CED’s Dean’s Conference. 
  • Upper Division CED Minor Requirements: Up to two courses taken elsewhere may be applied, if deemed transferable by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and approved by the faculty adviser for your minor. 
  • CED Breadth Requirements: All requirements can be potentially fulfilled by courses taken elsewhere, if deemed transferable by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and approved for breadth by the college (courses must be at least three units each).

Reading and Composition

  • Students must complete both halves of R&C A and B by the end of their 4th semester. Students planning to study abroad in the spring of their sophomore year are required to complete these requirements prior to their departure. Students who do not complete both halves by this deadline will have a hold placed in Cal Central preventing them from enrolling in courses. 

Senior Residency Requirements 

  • After reaching senior status (with 90 semester units earned), students must be registered in the College of Environmental Design and must complete at least 24 of the remaining 30 units in at least two semesters in residence at UC Berkeley as CED students. To count as residence, a semester must consist of at least six passed units. Study abroad programs do NOT count towards senior residency. 
  • Participants in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), Berkeley Summer Abroad, or the Berkeley Global Internship program may meet the Modified Senior Residence Requirement by completing 24 of their final 60 semester units (excluding EAP or UC Extension) in residence. 
  • Note that these programs must consist of at least six passed units to meet the requirement. At least 12 of the 24 units must be completed after senior status (90 units) is reached. 
  • Students should meet with a CED Academic Advisor to ensure they will meet senior residency requirements given when they plan to study abroad.

Honors Policy 

  • To graduate with distinction, students must meet the grade-point average (GPA) requirement and complete at least 50 units in residence at Berkeley. This may include UCB Extension XB units and up to 20 units from UCDC or EAP study abroad, of which 43 units must be letter-graded. Study abroad courses through non-UC programs are not included as units in residency or letter-graded units. 

Graduating Seniors

  • Completing your Final Degree Requirements Elsewhere
    • Seniors who are completing course work for the degree at another institution should be aware that the term must officially end by:
      • December 31 for fall graduates
      • May 31 for spring graduates
      • August 31 for summer graduates
    • If the term ends later than the dates above, students will be added to the expected graduation list for the following term.
  • Expected Graduation Date in Cal Central 
    • Students are responsible for making sure their “Expected Graduation Date” in Cal Central is accurate. This can be found on a students dashboard under “Personal Summary, Terms Information.” Students are required to meet with a CED Academic Advisor if their study abroad term impacts their graduation date and changes need to be made.
  • Transcript Deadline
    • The deadline for all transfer credit transcripts to be received for graduating seniors is the Friday of the sixth week after the end of each term. Students whose study abroad coursework is not received by this deadline are at risk for being pushed to the next graduation list.
When can I study abroad?
  • Summer is a great option for all CED majors for students looking to study abroad for a shorter period of time. 
  • Program plans for all CED majors to study abroad in the spring semester of sophomore year can be found in their major handbook
  • Studying abroad during a fall or spring semester junior or senior year for Sustainable Environmental Design and Urban Studies majors and staying on track for graduation is possible with careful planning. Students should meet with a CED Academic Advisor to create an individualized graduation plan.