The application cycle for the Master of City Planning program opens in September when the UC Berkeley Graduate Division Application becomes available online. Admission is for the fall semester of the following year. We do not accept spring-semester admissions. Please see Graduate Admissions for application deadlines and procedures.
For statistics on last year's M.C.P. admission cycle — number of applications received, number of applicants admitted, average GPA, age range, gender breakdown, etc. — see Admission Statistics.
Minimum requirements for admission include:
- A 3.0 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate study;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university;
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Official evidence of English language Proficiency (For applicants from countries in which the official language is not English)
Other elements of your application that weigh heavy in the review process include your statements (Statement of Purpose and Personal History Statement), letters of recommendation and work experience.
- Be sure to submit recommendations from individuals who know you well and can speak for the quality of your work. At least one should come from someone who can evaluate your performance in academic settings. One or two recommendations should be submitted from people who are in position to appraise your depth of character and commitment, work effectiveness, ability to work with people and leadership potential on the job or in community activities.
- The two statements, as a unit, should clearly present why you are interested in a planning career, your goals, and what you hope to achieve in a Berkeley professional program.
Attend a Free Online Admission Event
To register for the online events, please click on the dates below or on our flyer.
Conference Calls with MCP Program Chair: Paul Waddell
- Wednesday, October 17, 3-4PM (PST)
- Wednesday, November 7, 3-4PM (PST)
- Wednesday, December 5, 3-4PM (PST)
MCP Program & Admission Webinar: DCRP Graduate Advisors
Application Questions Webinar: DCRP Graduate Advisors
Connect With Us
Prospective applicants are encouraged to visit the UC Berkeley campus and meet with department staff and/or faculty members to discuss the program and admissions process. We recommend that you schedule any appointments with graduate advisers and/or faculty members at least two weeks prior to your visit.
Please note that faculty manage their own calendars, and it is not possible for departmental staff to set up appointments. Faculty are available for fall-semester appointments during the months of September, October and November, and for spring-semester appointments during the months of February, March and April.