The Social and Cultural Factors in Environmental Design minor emphasizes the political, cultural, social, and economic issues of concern to architects, landscape architects, and city planners. It is open to all majors.
|Faculty Advisor||Staff Advisor*|
250 Bauer Wurster Hall
* For paperwork and basic scheduling issues.
- A letter grade of C- or higher is required in ENV DES 1 to declare the minor.
- To declare, complete the College of Environmental Design Request to Declare Minor Form from the “FORMS + DOCUMENTS” page. DEADLINE to submit form is one semester prior to a student's final semester.
- Each course used to fulfill minor requirements must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- Students must earn a 2.0 GPA in the upper division requirements for the minor.
- CED Students: Any course used in fulfillment of minor requirements may also be used to fulfill CED major and upper division CED non-major requirements.
- CED Students: Courses used to fulfill a breadth requirement may also be used to satisfy minor requirements.
- Students may apply the non-CED version of a CED cross-listed course towards the minor.
- Students may use up to two courses taken abroad to fulfill upper division minor requirements, with faculty approval of the individual courses.
Lower Division Requirements
- ENV DES 1 (3) People and Environmental Design (a letter grade of C- or higher is required to declare the minor)
Upper Division Requirements
A total of five courses must be completed as outlined below; all must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
One of the following:
- ARCH 112 (3) The Social Life of Building
- ARCH 110AC (3) Social and Cultural Factors in Design (last offered Fall 2020)
Four of the following:
- ARCH 130 (4) Introduction to Design Theories and Criticism
- ARCH 179 (3-4) Proseminar in the History of Architecture (a non-Western architecture section)
- ARCH 212 (3) Body Conscious Design (Arch 110AC is prereq)
- CY PLAN 110 (4) Introduction to City Planning
- CY PLAN 115 (4) Urbanization in Developing Countries
- CY 118AC (4) The Urban Community
- CYPLAN 120 (3) Community Planning and Public Policy for Disability
- CY PLAN 190 (3-4) Advanced topics in Urban Studies. Must be taken for at least 2 units
- LD ARCH 130 (4) Introduction to Landscape Architecture