The Social and Cultural Factors in Environmental Design minor emphasizes the political, cultural, social, and economic issues of concern to architects, landscape architects, and city planners. It is open to all majors.
See below for instructions on how to declare the minor. For your minor to be added to your transcript, you must file the CED Minor Completion form with the Office of Undergraduate Advising in 250 Wurster Hall during the semester in which you complete your last class for the minor.
|Faculty Advisers||Staff Adviser*|
472 Wurster Hall
250 Wurster Hall
* For paperwork and basic scheduling issues.
- A letter grade of C- or higher is required in ENV DES 1 to declare the minor. To declare, download and complete the Request to Add Minor Form from the Forms and Documents page on the CED website. Submit the petition to the Staff Adviser listed above.
- Each course used to fulfill minor requirements must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- Students must earn a 2.0 GPA in the upper division requirements for the minor.
- Any course used in fulfillment of minor requirements may also be used to fulfill major and upper division CED non-major requirements.
- Courses used to fulfill a breadth requirement may also be used to satisfy minor requirements.
- Students may apply the non-CED version of a CED cross-listed course towards the minor.
- Students may use up to two courses taken abroad to fulfill upper division minor requirements, with faculty approval of the individual courses.
Lower Division Requirements
- ENV DES 1 (3) People and Environmental Design (a letter grade of C- or higher is required to declare the minor)
Upper Division Requirements
A total of five courses must be completed as outlined below; all must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
ARCH 110AC (3) Social and Cultural Factors in Design
Four of the following:
- ARCH 130 (4) Introduction to Design Theories and Criticism
- ARCH 179 (2-4) Proseminar in the History of Architecture (a non-Western architecture section)
- ARCH 212 Body Conscious Design (Arch 110AC is prereq)
- CY PLAN 110 (4) Introduction to City Planning
- CY 111 (3) Housing: An International Survey
- CY PLAN 115 (3) Urbanization in Developing Countries
- CY 118AC (4) The Urban Community
- CY 190 (2-4) Advanced topics in Urban Studies. Must be taken for at least 2 units
- LD ARCH 130 (3) Introduction to Landscape Architecture
- LD ARCH 138AC (3) The Metropolitan Landscape
- LD ARCH 141AC (3) Multicultural Difference and Diversity