The undergraduate minor in the History of the Built Environment is designed to give students an awareness of the history of the built environment through a series of courses in history, architectural history, and cultural landscape. It is offered to all majors. The college’s purpose in offering minors is twofold: to provide a secondary focus to a student’s degree and to bring these additional courses together into a coherent pattern. This minor requires consultation with a faculty advisor in order to best meet this end.
|Faculty Advisor||Staff Advisor*|
480 Bauer Wurster Hall
* For paperwork and basic scheduling issues.
- A letter grade of C- or higher in ENV DES 1 is required to declare the minor.
- To declare, complete the College of Environmental Design Request to Declare Minor Form from the “FORMS + DOCUMENTS” page. DEADLINE to submit form is one semester prior to a student's final semester.
- Each course used to fulfill minor requirements must be completed with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- Students must earn a 2.0 GPA in the upper division requirements for the minor.
- CED Students: Any course used in fulfillment of minor requirements may also be used to fulfill major and upper division CED non-major requirements.
- CED Students: Courses used to fulfill a breadth requirement may also be used to satisfy minor requirements.
- Students may apply the non-CED version of a CED cross-listed course towards the minor.
- Students may use up to two courses taken abroad to fulfill upper division minor requirements, with faculty approval of the individual courses.
Lower Division Requirement
- ENV DES 1 (3) People and Environmental Design (a letter grade of C- or higher is required to declare the minor).
A total of five courses must be completed as outlined below, all with a letter grade of C- or higher.
- ARCH 170A (4) Historical Surveys of Architecture and Urbanism.
- ARCH 170B (4) Historical Surveys of Architecture and Urbanism.
- One upper-division, non-CED course with a focus on history and environmental design. Approval required by faculty minor advisor. To request review please follow “CED Course Substitution and Curriculum Petition Process” on the “FORMS + DOCUMENTS” page.
Two of the following:
- ARCH 179 (3) Special Topics in the History of Architecture (various offerings each semester)
- GEOG 160 (4) American Landscapes: History, Geography, and the Built Environment
- HISTART 108 (4) Cities and the Arts
- LD ARCH 170 (3) History of Landscape Architecture (not applicable for landscape architecture majors)
- LD ARCH C171 (3) The American Designed Landscape Since 1850