- Fall & Spring semesters: Friday through Tuesday from 1:30 pm until 4:30 pm
- Summer semester: Monday and Wednesdays from 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Closed in-between semesters, on UC-recognized holidays, during Spring Break, and on CalDay
The CED Materials Store started in 2014 as a partnership between CED and the Educational Opportunity Program in the Division of Equity & Inclusion (EOP/DEI) operating as a service to CED students, rather than as a profit-oriented retail outlet. The Store is located in the hallway leading to the Shop. It is a place where CED students can purchase wood, plastic, paper, equipment, blades, router bits, and other materials to use in the Digital Fabrication Lab or Shop. Over time, the Store continues to expand its recycled materials and supplies uniquely required by CED students.
The Materials Store goals are:
- To provide materials at reasonable costs
- To eliminate transportation issues for students (a 4x8 board is hard to maneuver on a bus!)
- To eliminate the need to choose between attending class or getting to the stores during open hours
- To have materials on hand for CED Students when they need them
- To carry supplies in the required sizes (35 lbs of concrete is heavy on a bike, if all you need is 5 lbs!)
- To provide green, sustainable, and quality materials
- To help subsidize Undergraduate Fee Waivers - net revenue generated from the Store is distributed 60% to fund the Undergraduate Fee Waiver program and 40% to subsidize the store.
CED Materials Store Staffing
What is Available?
- Recycled and reused supplies at very low cost (cutting pads and knives, etc.)
- Lumber (Bass, Maple, Walnut, Poplar and Cherry)
- Plywood (Russian Birch and ACX)
- Plastic (Acrylic, Styrene, and Pet-G)
- Bits and Blades (for Blade Cutter, CNC and Desktop Mill)
- Metal (sheet metal, and flat, round, square or angled bars)
- Paper (Cflute, Chipboard, Foamboard, Museum Board)
- Archive and CED faculty/staff books and Student Journals
- CED branded items (thermos, drawstring bags, keychains, flash drives, mugs, tape measure, etc.)
- Supplies for those last minute needs (blue tape, staples, push-pins, toolkits, etc.)
Methods of Payment
- PaperCut account ($1 minimum).
- Credit Card ($10 minimum)
Please note: there are no refunds or exchanges for any item purchased in the Materials Store. Please be sure of an item before you purchase it. For guidance please speak with the Managers or Mechanicians in the Digital Lab and Shop as our Store staff are not Material experts.