Geospatial Science; Urban Environment Modeling; Low-Cost Monitoring; Air Pollution; Agricultural Irrigation Mapping
Dr. Liang is a geospatial scientist. The broad goal of her research is to develop novel data, scientific theory, and models to study how the feedbacks among physical environmental, biosphere, and anthroposphere are manifested in land surface change, and how these interactions can be assessed at various scales using rigorous interdisciplinary approaches. Dr. Liang runs a "Monitoring-Mapping-Modeling" (3M) lab, with the focus on using modern opportunities to acquire frequent and accurate spatial data and create more comprehensive and informative analyses by combining the data from different instruments (ground-based, airborne, and satellite measurement) with complementary attributes.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications: (+ Supervised student, *Corresponding author)
1. Liang L*, Daniels J+, Biancardi M+, Zhou YY+. (2023). Reconstructing aerosol optical depth data using spatio-temporal LSTM convolutional autoencoder. Scientific Data.
2. Liang L*, Daniels J, Bailey C, Hu L, Phillips R, South, J. (2023). Integrating low-cost sensor monitoring, satellite mapping, and geospatial artificial intelligence for intra-urban air pollution predictions. Environmental Pollution, p.121832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2023.121832
3. Liang L*, Daniels J+. (2022). What Influences Low-Cost Sensor Data Calibration? - A Systematic Assessment of Algorithms, Duration, and Predictor Selection. Aerosol and Air Quality Research. 22, p.220076.
4. Liang L*, Meyarian A+, Yuan XH, Runkle B.R.K., Mihaila G+, Qin YC, Daniels J+, Reba ML, Rigby JR. (2021). The First Fine-Resolution Mapping of Contour Levee Irrigation Using Deep Bi-Stream Convolutional Neural Networks. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 105: 102631.
5. Liang L*. (2021). Calibrating low-cost sensors for ambient air monitoring: techniques, trends, and challenges. Environmental Research. p.111163.
6. Liang L*, Gong P. (2020). Urban and air pollution: a multi-city study of long-term effects of urban landscape patterns on air quality trends. Scientific Reports. 10(1), 1-13.
7. Hart R+, Liang L*, Dong PL. (2020) Monitoring, mapping, and modeling spatial–temporal patterns of PM2.5 for improved understanding of air pollution dynamics using portable sensing technologies. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17(14), 4914. (No distinction between first and second authors).
8. Jia PF, Liang L, Tian XY, Chen J, Chen X. (2019) Potential effects of heat waves on the population dynamics of the dengue mosquito Aedes albopictus. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 13(7): e0007528. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0007528 (No distinction between first and second authors).
9. Liang L, Gong P, Cong N, Li ZC, Zhao Y, Chen Y. (2019) Assessment of personal exposure to particulate air pollution: the first result of City Health Outlook (CHO) project. BMC Public Health. 19(1), 711.
10. Liang L, Runkle B, Sapkota B, Reba M. (2019) Automated mapping of rice fields using multi-year training sample normalization. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 40(18): 7252-7271.
11. Watts N, Amann M, Arnell N, Ayeb-Karlsson S, Belesova K, Berry H, Bouley T, Boykoff M, Byass P, Cai W, Campbell-Lendrum D, Chambers J, Daly M, Dasandi N, Davies M, Depoux A, Dominguez-Salas P, Drummond P, Ebi KL, Ekins P, Montoya LF, Fischer H, Georgeson L, Grace D, Graham H, Hamilton I, Hartinger S, Hess J, Kelman I, Kiesewetter G, Kjellstrom T, Kniveton D, Lemke B, Liang L, Lott M, Lowe R, Sewe MO, Martinez-Urtaza J, Maslin M, McAllister L, Mikhaylov SJ, Milner J, Moradi-Lakeh M, Morrissey K, Murray K, Nilsson M, Neville T, Oreszczyn T, Owfi F, Pearman O, Pencheon D, Pye S, Rabbaniha M, Robinson E, Rocklöv J, Saxer O, Schütte S, Semenza JC, Shumake-Guillemot J, Steinbach R, Tabatabaei M, Tomei J, Trinanes J, Wheeler N, Wilkinson P, Gong P, Montgomery H, Costello A. (2018) The 2018 report of the Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: shaping the health of nations for centuries to come. The Lancet, 392(10163), 2479-2514. (authors listed alphabetically)
12. Liang L*, Gong P. (2017) Climate change and human infectious diseases: a synthesis of research findings from global and spatio-temporal perspective. Environment International. 103: 99-108.
13. Liang L*, Li XC, Huang YB, Qin YC, Huang HB. (2017) Integrating remote sensing, GIS and dynamic models for landscape-level simulation of forest insect disturbance. Ecological Modelling. 354:1-10.
14. Reynolds R+, Liang L*, Li XC, Dennis J. (2017) Monitoring annual urban changes in a rapidly growing portion of Northwest Arkansas with a 20-year Landsat record. Remote Sensing. 9(1):71. (No distinction between first and second authors).
15. Liang L*, Hawbaker T, Zhu ZL, Li XC, Gong P. (2016) Forest disturbance interactions and successional pathways in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Forest Ecology and Management. 375: 35-45.
16. Watts N, Adger WN, Agnolucci P, Blackstock J, Byass P, Cai W, Chaytor S, Colbourn T, Collins M, Cooper A, Cox PM, Depledge J, Drummond P, Ekins P, Galaz V, Grace D, Graham H, Grubb M, Haines A, Hamilton I, Hunter A, Jiang X, Li M, Kelman I, Liang L, Lott M, Lowe R, Luo Y, Mace G, Maslin M, Nilsson M, Oreszczyn T, Pye S, Quinn T, Svensdotter M, Venevsky S, Warner K, Xu B, Yang J, Yin Y, Yu C, Zhang Q, Gong P, Montgomery H, Costello A. (2015) Health and climate change: policy responses to protect public health. Lancet. 386 (10006), 1861-1914. PMID: 26111439 (authors listed alphabetically)
17. Liang L, Hawbaker T, Chen YL, Zhu ZL, Gong P. (2014) Characterizing recent and projecting future potential patterns of mountain pine beetle outbreaks in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Applied Geography, 55: 165-175.
18. Liang L, Liu Y, Liao JS, Gong P. (2014) Wetlands explain most in the genetic divergence pattern of Oncomelania hupensis. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 27: 436-444.
19. Gong P, Wang J, Yu L, Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Liang L, Niu Z, Huang X, Fu H, Liu S, Li C, Li X, Fu W, Liu C, Xu Y, Wang X, Cheng Q, Hu L, Yao W, Zhang H, Zhu P, Zhao Z, Zhang H, Zheng Y, Ji L, Zhang Y, Chen H, Yan A, Guo J, Yu L, Wang L, Liu X, Shi T, Zhu M, Chen Y, Yang G, Tang P, Xu B, Giri C, Clinton N, Zhu Z, Chen J, Chen J. (2013) Finer resolution observation and monitoring of global land cover: first mapping results with Landsat TM and ETM+ data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34(7): 2607-2654.
20. Liang L, Xu B, Chen Y, Liu Y, Cao W, Fang L, Feng L, Goodchild MF, Gong P. (2010) Combining spatial-temporal and phylogenetic analysis approaches for improved understanding on global H5N1 transmission. PLoS ONE, 5(10): e13575.