H. Leland Vaughan (1905-1974)
Adele Wharton received a B.S. (1937) and M.S. (1938) from the University of California, Berkeley, Department of Landscape Architecture. H. Leland Vaughn graduated with a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture from Ohio State in 1929 and continued his studies as a fellow at the Lake Forest Foundation. At Ohio State Vaughan studied with Thomas Church and came to California in 1930. Leland and Adele were married in 1937 and worked together in professional practice until Adele’s death. In addition to his practice with Adele, Vaughan served as professor of landscape architecture at UC Berkeley from 1930 to 1969.The H. Leland and Adele W. Vaughan collection spans the years 1931–1955 and contains records relating to the couple’s professional partnership as landscape architects. Included are project files, drawings, and photographs. The collection is useful for researching the shift in landscape architecture towards a more modern, site specific approach to design and Bay Regional style. Projects by Thomas Church and in collaboration with Church are also included.