- Master of City Planning, University of California, Berkeley
- M.S. Architecture, Columbia University
- M.A. Art History, Columbia University
- B.Arch., University of Florida
Professor Lifchez serves on the University Library Board, Berkeley. He is the author of The Dervish Lodge: Architecture, Art, and Sufism in Ottoman Turkey, and numerous additional publications on accessible design, the social history of architecture, and architectural design pedagogy. He received a Community Service Citation from the Bay Area Book Reviewers Association for his Rethinking Architecture, and an American Book Award Nomination for Design For Independent Living. In 1976 he received the University's Distinguished Teaching Award; in 2002, the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Distinguished Professor Award, and in 2008, the Berkeley Citation. His current research interest focuses on Jewish communities in the American south c. 1900.
Professor Lifchez sponsors:
- The Berkeley Undergraduate Prize For Architectural Design Excellence, a yearly international Internet essay competition (American Institute of Architects Collaborative Design Award, 2009) devoted to the proposition that architecture is a social art. The project was founded in 1998-99.
- The Judith Lee Stronach Memorial Lectures on the Teaching of Poetry, since 2003, an annual event with lectures by renowned poets. The lectures are published by the Bancroft Library in conjunction with the University of California Press.
- The Judith Lee Stronach Baccalaureate Prize (Letters and Science)
- The Judith Lee Stronach Undergraduate Summer Scholarships (College of Environmental Design)
- The Berkeley Seminars in Modern Jewish Culture (Program in Jewish Studies with the Center for Jewish Studies, Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley
- The Percival and Naomi Goodman Fellowship (Buell Center for American Studies, Columbia University)
Environmental Design Library, University of California, Berkeley:
- Inaugural Exhibition, May 21-October 30, 2007. Curator, "The Architect’s Sketch: Vision & Document."
- College Centennial Exhibition, September 25-December 31, 2009. Curator, "Environmental Design: A New Modernism."
- Courses Taught
- ARCH 101 Architectural Design
- ENV DES 101A Writing About Environmental Design: Short Compositions
- ENV DES 101B Writing About Environmental Design: Longer Compositions
- ENV DES 170 Social Art of Architecture
- ENV DES 195 Senior Thesis Seminar
- Selected Publications
"Jean-Galbert Salvage and his Anatomie du Gladiateur Combattant: Art and Patronage in Post-Revolutionary France," Journal, Metropolitan Museum of Art (2009)
"A Digital Archive of the Architecture of Charity Venice, c. 1100-1797", Confraternitas, Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies Society for Confraternity Studies, Toronto, Volume 18, No. 1, Spring 2007, pp. 16-26.
Architecture of Charity: Venice, c. 1100-1797 (banked images), Visual Resources Center, Department of Architecture, University of California, Berkeley
The Dervish Lodge: Architecture, Art, and Sufism in Ottoman Turkey, University of California Press (1992)
Rethinking Architecture, University of California Press (1987)
Design for Independent Living, University of California Press (1979)