Congratulations on your acceptance to UC Berkeley! We are looking forward to meeting you soon.
IMPORTANT: All official communication from UC Berkeley and the College of Environmental Design will be sent to your UC Berkeley email address. Please check this address frequently.
Students admitted for Fall 2021
Advising appointments are reserved for continuing students only. Please see the information below as a resource. Once you have completed your Golden Bear Advising assignments and attended (or viewed) the College of Environmental Design webinar for First Year Students you will be able to connect with a CED academic advisor through a scheduled advising appointment or drop-in session.
New Student Orientation On-Line
After you accept UC Berkeley's offer of admission, you will receive information about Golden Bear Advising and Golden Bear Orientation from New Student Services. After you complete the on-line orientation assignments, you will be able to enroll in classes using Cal Central, UC Berkeley's course enrollment system.
On-Line Orientation Preparation
You can acquaint yourself with your graduation requirements now by reviewing your major handbook, linked to below. Golden Bear Advising and Golden Bear Orientation will provide additional useful information to help you prepare to register for your first semester classes.
- High School Exam Credit
- Choosing Your First Math course (for newly admitted first year students)
- Webinar: Building your first college academic schedule (for newly admitted first year students)
- Evaluation of Transfer Work
- Architecture Major Handbook [2021-22, PDF]
- Landscape Architecture Major Handbook [2021-22, PDF]
- Sustainable Environmental Design Major Handbook [2021-22, PDF]
- Urban Studies Major Handbook [2021-22, PDF]
Education Abroad Reciprocity Students
Have questions about what kind of computer to purchase and what types of software to familiarize yourself with? Review CED Computing.
|Jun 1–22, 2020||First-Year (Freshman) Golden Bear Advising|
|Jun 15–29, 2021||New Transfer Student Golden Bear Advising|
|Jul 1, 2021||Deadline for submitting exam scores and final transcripts from schools you have attended|
|Aug 19, 23-24, 2021||CED Golden Bear Orientation|
|Aug 25, 2021||First day of instruction|
|Sep 2021||Analytical Writing Placement Examination (for students who have been admitted to UCB but have not yet fulfilled the UC Entry-Level Writing Requirement)|
Students who have Advanced Placement, A-Level, and/or International Baccalaureate exam credit may have fulfilled some of CED’s major or breadth requirements and/or may be eligible to take more advanced math or reading and composition courses.
- Advanced Placement Exam Credit
- A-Level Exam Credit
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam Credit
Please refer to the “HIGH SCHOOL EXAM CREDIT” section on CED’s Forms and Documents page.
If you do not know your exam scores yet, estimate them and select your classes according to that estimated score. If your estimated score is incorrect, you may need to add or drop a class later.
The math department provides a useful guide to choosing your first math class at Berkeley. You can take the on-line placement exam to help you choose between Math 32 (pre-calculus), Math 16A (appropriate for most Architecture, SED, and Urban Studies majors), and Math 1A (appropriate for engineering, math and science majors).
This webinar is tailored for students who are building an academic schedule for the first time. You will learn about important information and tips for creating your first-semester schedule, which is an assignment as part of your online Golden Bear Advising module. In addition, academic advisors provide answers to students’ general questions from students. https://vimeo.com
If you have transfer credit from a California community college, check ASSIST to see whether it will be accepted in satisfaction of a CED course requirement. If your courses were taken at a college or university outside of the California community college system, please do the following:
- Submit an official copy of the transcript. Find the information for submitting transcript at this link
- Follow your major’s curriculum petition process, found on the Forms and Documents page under your major section.
Student Services and Programs
- Financial Aid Office
- Educational Opportunity Program
- Undocumented Student Program
- Berkeley International Office (resources for international students)
- Berkeley Campus Life
- Centers for Educational Justice and Community Engagement
- Career Center
- CED Connects (LinkedIn Mentorship Program)
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Disabled Students Program
- Berkeley Programs for Study Abroad
- New Student Services
- Student Learning Center (information on tutoring, study groups, and workshops)
- UC Berkeley Transfer Student Center
- Re-Entry Student Program
- Student Parent Center
- Cal Veterans Services Center