Undergraduate Advising

Graduation + Commencement

Iwamoto canopy at gradation

Congratulations on your approaching graduation!

Complete your CED Senior Survey and RSVP for CED’s commencement by March 28th.

Graduation Checklist

Declaring Your Candidacy to Graduate (Adding to the “Degree List”)

Confirm via CalCentral that you are on the fall, spring, or summer degree list. If you are not on the degree list but want to be, contact a CED adviser to find out whether you are still eligible. You will not be added to the degree list after the last day of the semester.

Do not place yourself on the degree list in the spring just because you want to go through graduation ceremonies.  Adding yourself to the degree list is separate from “walking” or participating in the ceremony. The purpose of the degree list is to trigger a final review of graduation requirements and is separate from commencement.

You do not have to be enrolled at Berkeley during the semester in which you are on the degree list.

Certifying Completion of a Minor

Meet with a CED adviser no later than the fifth week of your final semester to review your completed paperwork for minor certification and ensure that your minor will appear in the CED commencement program and on your transcript. The CED Minor Completion form is available on the CED Forms + Documents page.

Graduating with Honors

To graduate with distinction, you must meet the grade-point average (GPA) requirement and complete at least 50 units in residence at Berkeley (this may include UCB Extension XB units and up to 20 units from UCDC or EAP), of which 43 units must be letter-graded (not including physical education activities courses).

Your GPA in all letter-graded courses taken at Berkeley must be equal to or higher than the GPA established for honors in the year in which you graduate. These GPA cut-offs change slightly each year. See Degree Requirements — Honors for this year's honors breakdowns.

CED's Commencement Ceremony

In addition to adding yourself to the degree list, you may also wish to participate in graduation ceremonies or “commencement.” CED’s commencement is a college-wide ceremony for graduating students that takes place in Zellerbach Hall. You do not need to be on the spring degree list to participate in commencement. Students need to order caps and gowns and, if graduating with honors, should pick up an honor cord from the Student Bookstore.

You must RSVP online in order to participate in the CED commencement ceremony. You will be directed to the RSVP form after completing the senior graduation survey. By the end of March, undergraduates who have completed the senior graduation survey and RSVP form will be emailed information about how to pick up commencement tickets.

University-wide Commencement Convocation

See http://seniors.berkeley.edu for more information on this UC Berkeley-wide event that also takes place in the Greek Theatre.

Completing Your Final Requirements Elsewhere

Seniors who are completing course work for the degree at another institution should be aware that the term must officially end by:

  • December 31 for fall graduates
  • May 31 for spring graduates
  • August 31 for summer graduates

If the term ends later than those dates, you will not graduate, and you must be on the degree list for the following term.

Send your final official transcript to:

Office of Undergraduate Advising
College of Environmental Design
250 Wurster Hall #1800
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1800

Contact the College Evaluator in 250 Wurster Hall for transcript deadlines.


  • Diplomas for undergraduates will be mailed automatically.
  • Diplomas are usually available 3-1/2 months after graduation.
  • Unclaimed diplomas are held for five years, after which they are shredded.

For more information, see the Diplomas & Graduation section of the Registrar's Office or call (510) 642-6765.

Requesting Official Documentation

If a prospective employer or graduate school needs an official statement that you have completed your degree requirements before degrees have been granted, you may ask the Office of the Registrar for a Certificate of Completion, an official document that confirms that you have satisfied all the University, campus, college, and major requirements for your degree. There is a turnaround time of 6-8 weeks between the end of the term and the date that the Registrar's Office issues the certificate. This document is considered just as official as a final transcript, and the Registrar will mail it to whatever address you request.

Alumni Associations and Services

The Cal Alumni Association offers benefits, events, and services to graduates who join. We also welcome you to become active members of the CED alumni community. See the UC Berkeley Alumni website for listings of other campus alumni associations and activities.

Career services are available for alumni through the alumni association and through the UC Berkeley Career Center’s Alumni Advantage program.

Alumni of any University of California campus who have a paid membership in any of the ten campus alumni associations may obtain a UC Berkeley library card. Alternately, you may purchase a borrowing card from the library. See the University Library's Information for Alumni and Visitors website.

Back to top