The mission of the CED Undergraduate Student Council is to represent the undergraduate student body within the College; address the needs of undergraduate peers through service; provide representation on College committees; and advocate for the undergraduate student population in CED to faculty and administration.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Bi-weekly or monthly (depending on council consensus) council meetings.
- Council meeting with the Dean and Associate Dean minimum of once per semester.
- All other tasks developed in one's annual term.
Structure of Council (Subject to change by council's will by consensus):
1 to 2 representative per academic major in CED—
- 1-2 representatives for Architecture
- 1-2 representatives for Landscape Architecture
- 1-2 representatives for Sustainable Environmental Design
- 1-2 representatives for Urban Studies
- 1-2 representatives for Individual Major
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CalLink Website: https://callink.berkeley.edu/organization/UgSC-CED
Meet Your 2017-2018 UgSC Representatives!
Gabriela Nehorayan | 3rd year
Gabriela Nehorayan is a sophomore at the University of California Berkeley. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture with a minor in Sustainable Design. She takes a special interest in innovation and Human-Centered design within the architecture field. Outside of studio and classes, Gabriela has a passion for dance as an alternative creative outlet. She is additional an avid designer and she takes on the role of Design Chair and Apparel Chair in multiple clubs.
1) I want to advocate for a community setting within CED by creating a mentorship program that matches upperclassman with lower-classman.
2) I want to advocate for affordability by creating a reuse and sale program through CED for people to sell and donate unused/extra materials.
3) I want to improve CED student teacher connections by providing events that allow you to talk with your teacher outside of a classroom setting.
Shane Krpata | 4th Year | Co-Council Chair
Hi, my name is Shane. I am a CE3 student majoring in User Centric Design, as well as minoring in Architecture and Social & Cultural Factors in Environmental Design. I am originally from Minnesota, but have call San Francisco home for several years before coming to Berkeley. Prior to that my background is in the medical field, where I got my start as an Army Medic. My goal is to help students achieve their best in our culturally unique and demanding environment, which I plan to do by voicing the input of our community, while working closely and constructively with staff and Administration to prioritize and promote student wellness.
- Seek additional funding to reduce the cost of materials and fees for students.
- Improve the state of health and well-being of students via data collection and analysis.
- Constructively voice the concerns and needs of the students to the college and university.
- Develop a means for communities and organizations of CED to connect and collaborate.
Sustainable Environmental Design
Carolina Bailon | 2nd Year | Council Communications Coordinator
Hello everyone! My name is Carolina and I use she/her pronouns. I am a second year student and I am your representative for the Sustainable Environmental Design major in CED’s Undergraduate Student Council. I am a first generation latinx student from a small border town in Southern California named Calexico. I hope to be able to bring into light conversations that highlight the intersection that environmental design has with social equity and justice. For me, that was the reason I became interested in environmental design in the first place. We hope to be a resource to students to make CED the type of community you want to be part of!
- Advocate for an student centered space in CED: This space will be designed to be inclusive of all forms of diversity—LGBTQ+ students, non-binary folks, students of color, students from historically marginalized communities and/or low income communities. This would be done with the purpose to create a sense of community of shared experiences and support in adjusting to UC Berkeley (outside of studio/academic spaces).
- Addressing Mental Health: I will advocate to make the issue of mental health central to the conversation within CED and be an advocate for investing in the wellness of students. I plan to do this by inviting counselors from the psychology department to give talks about issues that are relevant to the CED student population. It is important to be in constant conversation with students and know what they need.
- Professional Development: Hold workshops that teach softwares that aren't taught in classes that are needed to gain technical skills that are desired in the planning/architecture/landscape architecture professions.
Garrett Seno | 2nd Year | Co-Council Administrator
Hey, y’all! My name is Garrett Seno and I'm currently a second year here in CED majoring in Urban Studies and minoring in GIST. In addition to being the Urban Studies representative, I’m also involved within CED as an Admissions Ambassador. Outside of this college, I participate in activities like greek life, queer orgs, and IM soccer. I’m passionate about the things I do and I intend on working hard to be an advocate for our student body and its diverse needs. This council is here as a tool for y’all to be active in making this community what you want and need it to be.
- Increase visibility (admissions ambassadors, faculty, staff, open events) of CED
- Assist new students (program skills, info sessions/panels, connect upper div. students)
- Advocate student engagement (parking day, competitions, rallies)
- Professional Development (career center, open info sessions, collaborate with outside resources)
Undergraduate Student Council Advisor
250 Wurster Hall