The mission of the CED Undergraduate Student Council is to represent the undergraduate student body within the College; address the needs of undergraduate peers through service; provide representation on College committees; and advocate for the undergraduate student population in CED to faculty and administration.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Bi-weekly or monthly (depending on council consensus) council meetings.
- Council meeting with the Dean and Associate Dean minimum of once per semester.
- All other tasks developed in one's annual term.
Structure of Council (Subject to change by council's will by consensus):
1 to 2 representative per academic major in CED--
- 1-2 representatives for Architecture
- 1-2 representatives for Landscape Architecture
- 1-2 representatives for Sustainable Environmental Design
- 1-2 representatives for Urban Studies
- 1-2 representatives for Individual Major
- Co-Council Chairs: Shane Krpata (Individual Major)
- Co-Council Administrators: Madison Bell Lindsay (Architecture) & Garrett Seno (Urban Studies)
- Council Communications Coordinator: Carolina Bailon (SED)
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CalLink Website: https://callink.berkeley.edu/organization/UgSC-CED
Meet Your 2017-2018 UgSC Representatives!
Madison Bell Lindsay | 4th year | Co-Council Administrator
Hi, I’m Madison Lindsay, an architecture 4th year from Louisville, Kentucky. I am excited by futuristic architecture that truly addresses social and environmental issues, so I am minoring in the Social and Cultural Factors in Environmental Design. I am an avid martial artist as well as visual artist, and have a fascination with Berlin (stemming from a semester abroad). As an aspiring architect, I hope my projects will have a provocative, yet beneficial, effect on the world. I hope that as your representative on the UGSC, I’ll be able to push architecture to be a more equitable, sustainable, and healthy major for all students.
- I plan to improve mental health for students by advocating for healthier studio requirements.
- I'll work to increase equity and access to architecture by advocating for reduced material and printing costs, as well as reduced time required for studio courses.
- I want to help CED students network through stronger connections with alumni, and encourage greater interaction between class years.
Shane Krpata | 4th Year | Co-Council Chair
Hi, my name is Shane. I am a CE3 student majoring in User Centric Design, as well as minoring in Architecture and Social & Cultural Factors in Environmental Design. I am originally from Minnesota, but have call San Francisco home for several years before coming to Berkeley. Prior to that my background is in the medical field, where I got my start as an Army Medic. My goal is to help students achieve their best in our culturally unique and demanding environment, which I plan to do by voicing the input of our community, while working closely and constructively with staff and Administration to prioritize and promote student wellness.
- Seek additional funding to reduce the cost of materials and fees for students.
- Improve the state of health and well-being of students via data collection and analysis.
- Constructively voice the concerns and needs of the students to the college and university.
- Develop a means for communities and organizations of CED to connect and collaborate.
Sustainable Environmental Design
Carolina Bailon | 2nd Year | Council Communications Coordinator
Hello everyone! My name is Carolina and I use she/her pronouns. I am a second year student and I am your representative for the Sustainable Environmental Design major in CED’s Undergraduate Student Council. I am a first generation latinx student from a small border town in Southern California named Calexico. I hope to be able to bring into light conversations that highlight the intersection that environmental design has with social equity and justice. For me, that was the reason I became interested in environmental design in the first place. We hope to be a resource to students to make CED the type of community you want to be part of!
- Advocate for an student centered space in CED: This space will be designed to be inclusive of all forms of diversity--LGBTQ+ students, non-binary folks, students of color, students from historically marginalized communities and/or low income communities. This would be done with the purpose to create a sense of community of shared experiences and support in adjusting to UC Berkeley (outside of studio/academic spaces).
- Addressing Mental Health: I will advocate to make the issue of mental health central to the conversation within CED and be an advocate for investing in the wellness of students. I plan to do this by inviting counselors from the psychology department to give talks about issues that are relevant to the CED student population. It is important to be in constant conversation with students and know what they need.
- Professional Development: Hold workshops that teach softwares that aren't taught in classes that are needed to gain technical skills that are desired in the planning/architecture/landscape architecture professions.
Garrett Seno | 2nd Year | Co-Council Administrator
Hey, y’all! My name is Garrett Seno and I'm currently a second year here in CED majoring in Urban Studies and minoring in GIST. In addition to being the Urban Studies representative, I’m also involved within CED as an Admissions Ambassador. Outside of this college, I participate in activities like greek life, queer orgs, and IM soccer. I’m passionate about the things I do and I intend on working hard to be an advocate for our student body and its diverse needs. This council is here as a tool for y’all to be active in making this community what you want and need it to be.
- Increase visibility (admissions ambassadors, faculty, staff, open events) of CED
- Assist new students (program skills, info sessions/panels, connect upper div. students)
- Advocate student engagement (parking day, competitions, rallies)
- Professional Development (career center, open info sessions, collaborate with outside resources)
- CED Student Services Adviser
- Student Leadership Support Coordinator