Some planners work on broad, community-wide plans; others focus on specific issues. Ultimately, planners advocate the best use of a community’s land and resources for residential, commercial, educational, and recreational purposes. When beginning a project, planners work with public officials, community members, and other groups to identify community issues and goals.
Using research, data analysis, and collaboration with interest groups, planners formulate strategies to address issues and to meet goals. They also may help carry out community plans, oversee projects, and organize the work of the groups involved. Projects may range from a policy recommendation for a specific initiative to a long-term, comprehensive area plan.
Planners use a variety of tools and technology in their work, including geographic information systems (GIS) that analyze and manipulate data. GIS is used to integrate data with electronic maps. For example, planners use GIS to overlay a land map with population density indicators. They also use statistical software, visualization and presentation programs, financial spreadsheets, and other database and software programs.
UC Berkeley Resources Available for Job Searches
- WursterLife: WursterLife.com is an online networking resource connecting CED students with alumni who might provide advice, information, and support. As a student, you can find a mentor, gain perspective on your long-term career goals; acquire advice on balancing education, career, and extracurricular activities; and receive honest feedback and encouragement.
- Career Center Website: Information on career fields in environmental design, including job listing sites, career profiles and information on professional development.
- CareerMail: Want to get timely information about jobs, internships, employer events, professional school, workshops, and more aimed specifically at Cal students interested in environmental design? To sign up for Handshake.
- CED Undergraduate Advising Blog: Enrichment opportunities and announcements from the office of undergraduate advising. This blog has tons of opportunities to get involved including internships, jobs, volunteer work, leadership and more! Check it out to stay informed!
- Handshake: Recruiting platform for UC Berkeley students. Uses cutting edge technology to help you more easily connect with employers and source jobs and internships, event information, and On-Campus Recruiting opportunities.
Job Listings on College of Environmental Design's http://planningjobs.berkeley.edu/ website.