Howard A. Friedman, FAIA, graduated from UC Berkeley in 1949 (A.B. Architecture). He joined the architecture department in 1966 as a lecturer after building a distinguished private architectural practice in the Bay Area. In 1979 he became a full-time member of the CED faculty while continuing his private practice, and served as chair of the architecture department from 1986 until his death in 1988.
To celebrate Professor Friedman's commitment to the University of California and his contributions to the architectural profession, his wife Phyllis Friedman established the Howard A. Friedman Visiting Professorship in the Practice of Architecture Fund. Since 1991, income from the fund has brought distinguished practitioners of architecture to teach at the College of Environmental Design. Holders of the visiting professorship teach and counsel students and enhance the liaison between the college and the profession.
The visiting professorship intends to advance Professor Friedman's values and philosophy of "humanistic architecture." Specifically, holders contribute to increased understanding of the building delivery system and its relationship to design, function, technology, time, money, and cultural and social responsibility. The visiting professorship promotes Professor Friedman's belief that architects need to acquire a broad base of knowledge in order to contribute effectively to the construction industry and ensure an ever-improving practice of architecture.
Friedman Visiting Professors
|Year||Fall + Spring Semester Recipient(s)|