(L to R) Miriam Solis, PhD, Professor Daniel Rodriguez, Assoc. Professor Malo Hutson, Oscar Sosa Lopez, PhD, Julia Sakr-Tierney, PhD, Professor and Chair, Teresa Caldiera, Geoff Boeng, PhD, Professor and Dean, Jennifer Wolch, Keith Lee, PhD, Assoc. Professor Dan Chatman, Asst. Professor Carolina Reid, Professor and Terner Center Faculty Director, Carol Galante and Lecturer Moira O'Neil.
Congratulations to the 2017 PhD graduates at UC Berkeley's Department of City and Regional Planning! They will go on to do all sorts of amazing things making the world a better place for us to live in.
Dissertation topics this year included:
- Miriam Solis: Cities, Race, and 21st Century Water Infrastructure Rebuilding
- Oscar Sosa Lopez: The Politics of Immediacy: Sustainable Mobility, infrastructure and citizenship in Mexico City
- Julia Sakr-Tierney: Constructing Resilience: Real Estate Investment, Sovereign Debt and Lebanon's Transnational Political Economy
- Geoff Boeng: Methods and Measures for Analyzing Complex Street Networks and Urban Form
- Keith Lee: From Street Market to Superstore: Retail Modernization and Food Waste in South Korea
- (not pictured) Alice Sverdlik:Tenuous Wires, Covert Excreta Flows, and a Formal/Informal Interface: Uncovering New Facets of Informality in Nairobi
- (not pictured) Lisa Rayle: Informality and accessibility: How transport formalization through bus rapid transit affects accessibility in Cape Town, South Africa
The DCRP faculty's academic colors in this portrait represent different institutions and academic points of view. It is this collective academic power that is shared and grows with our students that makes us a forward thinking institution. We salute our newest alumni and PhDs, and our DCRP faculty.