Place, Culture, Time -- Design in Drastically Changing China
Architecture is a microcosm of the times. In the past three decades when China experienced massive urbanization, the architectural market also developed from scratch, then grew and expanded explosively. He Jingtang, who has been leading his team practicing the architectural design in the market from the very beginning of the urbanization movement, witnessed the drastic changes in China over the past three decades, and every architecture they create reflects profound thoughts on place, culture and time. His architectural philosophy and works in the past decades, which, despite of the variation of places and custom, keeps abreast with the time and provokes thoughts on future urban development. In this talk, Professor He Jingtang will share his experiences with global architectural innovation.
About Professor He Jingtang
Professor He Jingtang has put forward the “2 Views” (the whole view and the sustainable development view) and “3 characters” (local character, cultural character and epochal character) on architecture philosophy and innovative thought, which are represented in many architectural works. He has been in charge of more than 100 important projects of architecture engineering design which earned him more than 40 excellent design awards from the state, department and province, including 1 golden medal, 2 silver medals, 2 copper medals, 13 first prizes, and 14 second prizes. His masterpieces include Mausoleum of the Nanyue King of the Western Han Dynasty, Metropolitan Square, China Mayors Plaza, SCUT Shaw Building of Humanities, the Sea Battle Museum of the Opium War Museum, Shenzhen Building of Science, Foshan Electric Power Mansion, the main building of the new campus of Zhejiang University, Nanhai College of South China Normal University, Chongqing University, Jiangnan University, Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center, Beijing Olympic Badminton and Wrestling Gymnasium, 9.18 Memorial, and more.
- Academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering
- Dean of College of Architecture, South China University of Technology
- President of Architectural Design & Research Institute South China University of Technology
- National Engineering Survey and Design Master of China
- Vice President of the Architectural Society of China
- Co-Chair of the CTBUH
- Chief Architect of the China Pavilion, 2010 Shanghai Expo
- Architecture Exhibition: Places, Culture, Time -- Design in Drastically Changing China on view from August 29-October 21 in the Environmental Design Library
- Forum and Panel Discussion on Thursday, August 30 from 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00-5:00pm in the Great Hall at the Bancroft Hotel (2680 Bancroft Way)
- Exhibition Opening Ceremony on Thursday, August 30 at 1:00pm on the Wurster Plaza, followed by an Exhibition Tour with Profesor He Jingtang in the Environmental Design Library (210 Wurster Hall)
This lecture is sponsored by Choi Kinchung, and it is part of the Fall 2018 Berkeley Architecture Lecture Series and the Sino-US Architecture Forum. Open to all!
We will also be live streaming this talk in 106 Wurster.