The Judith Lee Stronach Professional Experience Awards provide financial support to students seeking to participate in an unpaid summer professional training experience with a public agency or nonprofit organization, either within the U.S. or abroad. The Judith Lee Stronach Professional Experience Awards do not pay for the summer internship, but instead provide funding to support students as they work on their internship. The purpose of the awards program is to allow undergraduates to integrate theory and practice, as well as values and community involvement, within the context of a public or nonprofit professional practice setting where they also gain career-related experience. By involving students in public and nonprofit organizations, the awards program also promotes the public service mission of the University. Professional training experiences must be for a period of at least 8 weeks. Support from the award may be utilized for travel and/or to offset costs of living.
March 1, 2023
Up to $5,000 each recipient
- Full-time (i.e. at least one full semester during the current year) undergraduate students at the College of Environmental Design with at least one full semester remaining after the completion of the summer internship.
Please submit the following materials as a single PDF upload using the Online Registration and Eligibility Form by the due date:
- Scholarship Proposal. Write a short essay (1-2 pages) specifying the host public agency or nonprofit organization where the applicant seeks to gain professional training and experience, provide a description of the project(s) that will be the focus of the award period, and share learning goals and expected professional outcomes from the experience.
- Offer Letter. Include the offer letter from the host public agency or nonprofit organization. If you have not yet been provided an offer, your scholarship will be contingent on providing a letter once it is available.
- Budget. Include travel, living expenses, etc.
- Resume. Detailed resume or curriculum vitae outlining relevant academic, co-curricular, and employment experiences.
- Unofficial Transcript. Cal Central printouts are acceptable; include other non-UC unofficial transcripts.