CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT AND BERKELEY GLOBAL ACCESS
Students at other universities, UC employees, Berkeley Global Access General Option (BGA) participants, and others can take UC Berkeley courses through UC Berkeley Extension's Concurrent Enrollment program. This program allows you, for a fee, to participate fully in a Berkeley class, have homework and exams graded, and receive an official course grade.
Requirements for admission to a course as a Concurrent Enrollment or BGA student include:
- Application through the UC Berkeley Concurrent Enrollment program.
- The course has seats available and the instructor and offering department approve of your enrollment.
- The course does not have a wait list of current UC Berkeley students who meet the course restrictions (check course restrictions in the Berkeley Academic Guide).
- The course is not restricted to current College of Environmental Design declared majors only (check course restrictions in the Berkeley Academic Guide).
Please see below for CED undergraduate courses that are generally open to concurrent enrollment students. Although faculty may approve a student for a course, the final decision is made by the department and college. Be advised that there is no guarantee of enrollment in any of these courses and the list below is subject to change. We highly recommend you identify back-up courses in case you do not get into your desired CED class(es).
Courses generally open to Concurrent Enrollment & BGA students (if seats are available)
ARCH 109 Special Topics in Architectural Design
ARCH 142/242 Sustainability Colloquium (Fall semester only)
ARCH 149 Special Topics in Energy and Environment (see prerequisites)
ARCH 169 Special Topics in Construction Materials (see prerequisites)
ARCH 170A/B An Historical Survey of Architecture and Urbanism
ARCH 179 Special Topics in the History of Architecture (see prerequisites)
CY PLAN 110 Introduction to City Planning (Fall semester only)
CY PLAN 115 Urbanization in Developing Countries (Summer only)
CY PLAN 117AC Urban & Community Health (Spring semester only)
CY PLAN 118AC The Urban Community (Spring semester only)
CY PLAN 119 Planning for Sustainability (Fall semester only)
CY PLAN 140 Urban Design: City-Building and Place-Making (Fall semester only)
CY PLAN Additional courses may become available for enrollment
ENV DES 1 Introduction to Environmental Design (Spring semester only)
ENV DES 4C Future Ecologies: Urban Design, Climate Adaptation, and Thermodynamics (Spring semester only)
VIS STU 185X Selected Topics: Word and Image (see prerequisites)
COURSES Not Open to Concurrent Enrollment & BGA students
ARCH 11A, 11B, 100A, 100B, 100C, 100D (Architecture studio courses) are not available to participants in the BGA program. Only CED-GAP participants and continuing UC Berkeley degree-seeking students are eligible to enroll in a studio course. Students interested in taking a studio course should apply for CED-GAP.
CY PLAN 116 Urban Planning Process--The Undergraduate Planning Studio
CY PLAN 180 Research Seminar in Urban Studies
ENV DES 1 Introduction to Environmental Design (Fall semester - open to declared CED students only)
ENV DES 4A Design and Activism
ENV DES 106 Sustainable Environmental Design Workshop (open to declared UC Berkeley SED majors only)
Note: students admitted to the College of Environmental Design Global Access Program (CED-GAP) are granted priority enrollment for identified courses over BGA and other Concurrent Enrollment students. Only CED-GAP participants and some continuing UC Berkeley degree-seeking students are eligible to enroll in a studio course.
The order of priority for enrollment in undergraduate CED courses is as follows:
- Continuing UC Berkeley undergraduates in the College of Environmental Design who meet the course restrictions and are required to take the course to graduate (check course restrictions in the Berkeley Academic Guide).
- CED undergraduates who are completing their degree through Concurrent Enrollment with adviser permission and are required to take the course to graduate.
- UC Education Abroad Reciprocity students, who have been pre-approved by the College.
- All other eligible UC Berkeley undergraduates on the wait list (check course restrictions in the Berkeley Academic Guide).
- CED-GAP participants. View the CED-GAP webpage for more information.
- Eligible BGA participants, eligible Concurrent Enrollment, Intersegmental cross-enrollment and cross registration students.