The 2018 Summer [IN]STITUTE application portal will open on Friday, December 15, 2017.
- [IN]CITY, [IN]LAND and [IN]ARCH are open to individuals with an undergraduate degree in any discipline. We will also consider exceptional students who will have completed their junior year of college by June 2018.
- [IN]ARCH ADV is open to those who have already obtained an undergraduate degree in the field of architecture or who will complete their junior year in an architecture program by June 2018.
- We recommend a minimum grade-point average of 3.0
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency as described on the UC Berkeley Summer Sessions website.*
A strong Summer Institute application contains the following:
- A thoughtful, articulate response to the Statement of Intent prompt.
- Transcripts and GPA that show evidence of academic rigor and intellectual curiosity.
- a CV/resume that indicates a combination of academic and professional experience, regardless of field.
- English language proficiency (both in terms of exam scores and quality of the written statement).
To be considered for the program, you must submit the following:
- Completed Summer Institute slideroom application with statement of interest
- $80 application fee
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Copy of your most recent unofficial undergraduate transcript
International students must submit their applications by Friday, May 11.
Domestic students must submit their applications by Tuesday, May 15.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in mid-February. Early submissions are welcomed. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
We will notify all applicants of the status of their application via email within one to two weeks of receiving your application. If you are accepted for admission to the program, you will receive from the Summer Programs Office detailed instructions on how to register through CalCentral.
*If you are sitting for a language exam and will not receive the results before the international application deadline, submit your application without the score. If you are accepted to the program, you will receive a "conditional accept" that will become official when we receive your passing test scores. Test scores must be received by May 6 at the latest. We encourage you to review this information to determine whether you qualify for an English Proficiency Requirement waiver.