embARC Academic Lead: Kim Suczynski Smith
Kim is an Associate for Pyatok Architects, Inc. and offers her instinctive attention to details and problem solving to the firm. Kim uses a multidisciplinary approach to her practice making the most out of her dual degrees in city planning and architecture together with her strong interest in education.
She joined Pyatok Architects in 2010 with special focus on the participatory design and master planning process for Waterman Garden, a new 250 unit revitalization project for the County of San Bernardino Housing Authority. Kim is often tapped to engage in Pyatok's large-scale development projects helping the team to address a diverse set of challenges---both in planning and in architecture---when designing for low income communities. Her recent contributions to projects include Paradise Creek Affordable Family Housing, Avalon Hayes Valley Market Rate Housing, and Harrison Street Senior Affordable Housing.
In addition to professional practice, Kim has taught planning studios since 2010 at the College of Environmental Design. She is a founding member and designer with Recess, an interdisciplinary design collaborative and is involved with the Policy Committee at East Bay Housing Organization (EBHO). Kim received her Master of City Planning and Master of Architecture from UC Berkeley and Bachelor of Science in Architecture from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Each year, embARC invites prominent architects, landscape architects, city planners, experts in the field of sustainable design, and CED faculty to engage with students. Professionals and faculty who have shared their expertise with embARC students include:
- Chris Sensenig, Urban Designer, VMWP
- John Thompson, Founder and President, John W. Thompson Architect
- Susi Marzuola, Principal, Siegal & Strain Architects
- Mark Rhoades, President and CEO, Rhoades Planning Group
- Katie Gladstein, Associate Planner/Project Manager, Rhoades Planning Group
- Jennifer Wolch, Dean and Professor of City & Regional Planning, CED
- Paul Woolford, Director of Design, HOK
- Anne Torney, Partner, Mithun
- David Reimer, Executive in Residence, Haas School of Business
- Peter Bosselman, Professor of Urban Design, CED
- Madhavi Desai, Partner, ARCHICRAFTS
- Owen Kennerly, Founder and Principal, Kennerly Architecture & Planning
- Virginia San Fratello, Principal, Rael San Fratello
- Mike Pyatok, Principal, Pyatok
- Gray Dougherty, Partner and Project Manager, Dougherty | Dougherty Architecture
- Amit Price Patel, Principal, David Baker + Partners Architecture