Disc*2018 Dates & Deadlines
Please note: these deadlines are specific to Disc* and vary from those listed on the Summer Sessions website. Most Summer Sessions deadlines do not apply to Disc* participants.
|Deadline||Domestic Students||International Students|
|Online Application Opens||Friday, December 15, 2017||same|
|Financial Aid Request Deadline||Monday, April 2||same|
|Online Application Deadline||Tuesday, May 15||Friday, June 1|
|Deadline for International Students to Submit VSIS form and I-20 Documents||N/A||Friday, May 25|
|Cancellation Deadline for Full Refund*||Friday, June 8||same|
|Withdrawal Deadline for Summer Session Fee Refund Only**||Friday, July 7||same|
|Program Begins||Monday, July 2||same|
|Withdrawal Deadline without a refund||Friday, July 13||same|
|Program Ends||Friday, August 3||same|
* Contact the Summer Programs Office to cancel your enrollment by this date and you will receive a full refund of the $3,200 CED Program Fee and all Summer Sessions fees, minus a $100 cancellation fee. (For international students, the $300 I-20 Processing Fee is non-refundable.)
** Contact the Summer Programs Office to cancel your enrollment by this date and you will receive a refund of all Summer Sessions fees, minus a $435 withdrawal fee. (For international students, the $300 I-20 Processing Fee is non-refundable.)
Course Cancellation and Refund Policy
CED reserves the right to cancel any course for which there is insufficient enrollment for a full refund, and to withdraw or modify course offerings.
Disc*2018 Tuition and Fees
|Student Profile||Total Cost|
|UC Undergraduate Student||$3,958|
|UC Graduate Student||$4,063|
|Visiting Student, domestic||$4,191|
|Visiting Student, international||$6,691|
Tuition and Fees cover:
- access to Computer Labs
- access to the Digital Fabrication Lab
- licenses for required software
- a CalNet ID card for access to all University facilities
- print card
- some materials and supplies
- catered welcome and commencement events
- Clipper Card for free transportation on all Alameda County buses
- transportation to and from site visits
Students are responsible for their own housing, meals, any additional supplies, and computer.
A small number of partial scholarships are available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org before April 2, 2018 to request a scholarship. Scholarships are need-based; the majority of scholarships are awarded to applicants whose personal and/or parental yearly gross income does not exceed $40,000.
Disc* program participants are strongly encouraged to live on campus, though this is not required. Students already living in the Bay Area may opt to commute to Disc* as a day program. Non-local students have several options for housing, some of which include meals. The following links will give you an idea of housing costs in the Berkeley area.
- We highly recommend Berkeley Student Co-op housing, and Cloyne Court in particular.
- International House: only a five-minute walk from Wurster Hall, International House has rooms available in the summer and they also offer meals.
- UC Berkeley dorms: Berkeley Residence Halls often have available rooms for visiting students during the summer sessions.
- Cal Rentals: this subscription service is set up specifically to help summer student visitors find sublets around campus. Email them after March 1 to request their Summer Housing Bulletin.
- CED Summer Programs Facebook Page: incoming Institute students use this page to trade house-hunting tips and share leads (by invitation only).
- Berkeley Lab Guest House: located on the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory campus, guests can access the UC Berkeley campus via shuttle bus, car, bicycle, or foot. It offers standard, large, and studio rooms.
- Craigslist: many summer students find sublets in the neighborhood - keep in mind that many more options become available during the summertime.
- Summer Sessions maintains a list of non-UC affiliated housing options.
PLEASE NOTE: UC Berkeley's summer Residence Halls fill up fast. Residency priority is given to Disc* students who apply early in the spring.