- Research Interests/Specializations
Landscape Design; Urban Development; Landscape Urbanism; Land Use; Urban Design; Sustainable Development; Tourism Planning; Environmental Planning; Public Participation.
With extensive hands-on professional expericne in the Global South
- PhD Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning, Department of Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning, University of California, Berkeley, USA (2017)
- Dip. Land Management & Informal Settlement Regularization, Institute of Housing & Urban Development Studies, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands (2006)
- M.A. Urban Design, Joint Centre of Urban Design, School of Planning & Architecture, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK (2001)
- BSc. Urban & Regional Planning, Urban & Landscape Design Emphasis, Faculty of Urban & Regional Planning, Cairo University, Egypt (1998)
I am an urban and landscape planner and sustainable development expert with nearly two decades of working experience with municipal governments, research institutes, international development agencies, private sector firms and local community organizations. I have worked extensively in areas adjacent to national parks and coastal areas that are designated settlements, dense urban forms, and historic urban centers across the Middle east and Africa. My research focuses on finding the appropriate balance between the trendies of rapid urbanization and maintaining ecological integrity in both dense cities as well as remote nomadic towns. My doctorate research in Dep. Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning at UC Berkeley focused on understanding tourism development and its direct impact on the environment. I obtained previous degrees in Urban & Regional planning from Cairo university, a Master in Urban design from Oxford Brookes University, and a diploma in Land Management from Institute of Housing & Urban Development Studies from Erasmus University.
- Courses Taught
- Spring 2018 - Lecturer, LA206, MLA Thises Class, UC Berkeley
- Spring 2018 - Lecturer, LA205, Environmental Planning Studio, UC Berkeley
- Spring 2018 - Lecturer, ENV331, Global Environmental Crisis, San Francisco State University
Fall 2017 - Lecturer, LA237, The Process of Environmental Planning, UC Berkeley.
- Fall 2017 - Lecturer, LA201, Ecological Factors in Urban Landscape, UC Berkeley.
- Fall 2017 - Lecturer, ED4-A, Design Activism, UC Berkeley.
- Fall 2016 - Lecturer, USP-514, Sustainable Development in Cities, School of Public Affairs and Civic Engagement, San Francisco State University.
- Spring 2016 - Instructor, LA253, Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning Colloquium: Landscape Planning & Design, From Theory to Practice, UC Berkeley.
- Fall 2015 - Graduate Student Instructor, LA171, American Designed Landscape Since 1850. UC Berkeley.
- Fall 2015 - Graduate Student Instructor, LA227, Restoration of Rivers and Streams, UC Berkeley.
- Summer 2015 - Teaching Assistant, River Restoration Short Course at Sagehen Field Station, UC-Berkeley.
- Fall 2014 - Instructor, LA253, Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning Colloquium: Sustainability of the Global South, UC Berkeley.
- Spring 2013 - Graduate Student Instructor, LA39, Future Ecologies, UC-Berkeley.
- Selected Publications
Kondolf, G. M., Gohar, A., Mozingo, L., Marzion, R., & Balakrishan, K. (2013). Connecting Cairo to the Nile: Opportunities for Public Access and Alternative Transportation. Democratic Transition and Sustainable Communities.
Kondolf, G. M., Mozingo, L., Gohar, A., & Marzion, R. (2011). Connecting Cairo to the Nile: Renewing Life and Heritage on the River. Institute of Urban & Regional Development, 112. This is a group Publication. Click here to obtain your copy.