- Research Interests/Specializations
cities and climate change, environmental justice, public health, race and urban inequality
- MPhil, University of Cambridge
- BA, University of California, Irvine
- Awards + Recognition
- Social Science Research Council International Dissertation Research Fellowship
- University of California Humanities Research Institute Residential Research Fellowship
- UC Berkeley Alumni Prize for Public Sociology
- UC Berkeley Chancellor’s Fellowship
- UC Berkeley Goldsmith Public Service Award
- Junior Fellow, American Academy of Political and Social Science
- Visiting Scholar, St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi
- Selected Publications
Mukul Kumar and Ananya Roy (2019) "Before Subaltern Studies: The Epistemology of Property," in Tariq Jazeel and Stephen Legg eds., Subaltern Geographies: Subaltern Studies, Space and the Geographical Imagination, Geographies of Justice and Social Tranformation Series, University of Georgia Press.
Mukul Kumar (2017) "At the City's Margins: Coal, Land, and Livelihoods in Chennai," Policy Report No. 20, The Hindu Centre for Politics and Public Policy.
Hannah Appel and Mukul Kumar (2015) “Finance,” in Hannah Appel, Nikhil Anand, and Akhil Gupta eds., “The Infrastructure Toolbox," Theorizing the Contemporary, Cultural Anthropology Online.
Mukul Kumar, K. Saravanan, and Nityanand Jayaraman (2014) “Mapping the Coastal Commons: Fisherfolk and the Politics of Coastal Urbanisation in Chennai,” Economic and Political Weekly, Review of Urban Affairs, Vol. 48, Issue 49, pp. 46-53.
Mukul Kumar (2014) "Neither the city nor the sea will relent," Down to Earth, November 30.
Manuel Castells and Mukul Kumar (2014) “A Conversation with Manuel Castells,” Berkeley Planning Journal, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 93-99.
Charlie Eaton, Jacob Habinek, Mukul Kumar, Tamera Lee Stover, Alex Roehrkasse, and Jeremy Thompson (2013) "Swapping Our Future: How Students and Taxpayers are Funding Risky UC Borrowing and Wall Street Profits," Berkeley Journal of Sociology, Critical Approaches to Financialization, Vol. 57, pp. 178-199.