- Research Interests/Specializations
Research Interests: Evidence-based Design, Immersive Environments and Experience in Healthcare Spaces, Enhanced Patient and Family Experiences, Human-Centric Design, Smart Hospital Environments, Digital Technology and Disruptions in Healthcare, User Behavior, Healthcare Quality Care & Delivery.
Specializations: Total Building Performance, Sustainable Healthcare Design, Building Performance Simulations, Passive Design Strategies, Healing Environments.
- M.Sc in Building Science, School of Design & Environment, National University of Singapore (2010)
- B.Arch, University of Madras, India (2001)
Haripriya Sathyanarayanan is a Ph.D Candidate in Building Science,Technology and Sustainability with a Designated Emphasis (DE) in New Media, a Regents Fellow and a Smart Mentor. Her professional career has spanned architectural practice, consultancy and teaching. She worked as an environmentally sustainable design (ESD) consultant in Singapore on a number of sustainable healthcare projects that lured her into her PhD related to the design of healthcare environments. She has Evidence-based Design Accreditation and Certification (EDAC) and is a LEED AP (BD+C).
Her research agenda is centred around evidence-based design (EBD) and enhanced patient experiences through use of immersive experiences such as virtual reality/augmented reality/mixed reality in healthcare environments to inform spatial design of healthcare facilities through the use of collaborative design process.
- Courses Taught
Arch 140: Energy and Environment (Spring 2021)
Arch 240: Advanced Study of Energy and Environment (Spring 2019)
Arch 149: Zero Energy Building (Summer 2019, 2018)
Discipline-Cluster Workshop Leader for Studio, Art and Environmental Design: Teaching Conference for First-Time Graduate Student Instructors (Spring 2021, Fall 2020, Spring 2020, Fall 2019)
- Awards + Recognition
- 2020 Robert J. Kain Healthcare Design Education Scholarship
- The Beryl Institute's 2020 Patient Experience Research Grant for Scholars
- ASHRAE Eric Thor Andresen Memorial Scholarship 2020 - Top Award
- BCNM Summer Research Award 2020
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award 2020
- SURF SMART Mentor Summer 2019
- Regents Fellowship for Graduate Study (PhD in Architecture) 2017, University of California, Berkeley
- Gold Medal, M.Sc Building Science in 2010
- Gold Medal, B.Arch., Sathyabama Engineering College in 2001
- Selected Publications
Kalay, Yehuda E, Haripriya Sathyanarayanan, Davide Schaumann, Albert Wang, Gang Chen, and Ramdas G Pai. (2020). Simulation-Powered Smart Buildings Enabled by Visible Light Communication. In SimAUD 2020: Proceedings of the Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (pp. 531-538). Society for Modeling & Simulation International (SCS). Preprint
Kalay Y.E., Sathyanarayanan H., Schaumann D., Wang A., Chen G., Pai R.G. (2020) VLC-Enabled Human-Aware Building Management System. In: Streitz N., Konomi S. (eds) Distributed, Ambient and Pervasive Interactions. HCII 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12203. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-50344-4_16.
Wong, Nyuk Hien, Steve Kardinal Jusuf, Nedyomukti Imam Syafii, Yixing Chen, Norwin Hajadi, Haripriya Sathyanarayanan, and Yamini Vidya Manickavasagam. “Evaluation of the Impact of the Surrounding Urban Morphology on Building Energy Consumption.” Solar Energy 85, no. 1 (January 1, 2011): 57–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2010.11.002.