- During semesters: Friday through Tuesday from 1:30 pm until 4:30 pm
- Not open between semesters or on holidays
The Materials Store is a partnership between CED and the Educational Opportunity Program in the Division of Equity & Inclusion who provided a grant to initiate the build and base-stock for the Store. The Store is operated as a nonprofit service to our students rather than a retail store. As such, campus policy requires that we sell only to current UC students, faculty and staff and purchasers are required to show a UC ID card. Located in the hallway leading to the Fabrication Shop, the Materials Store is a place where CED students can purchase wood, plastic, paper, equipment, blades, router bits, and other materials to use in the Digital Fabrication Lab and Fabrication Shop. Over time, it is expected that the store will carry other supplies uniquely required by CED students.
The Materials Store goals are:
- To provide materials at reasonable costs
- To eliminate transportation issues for students (a 4x8 board is hard to maneuver on a bus!)
- To eliminate the need to choose between attending class or getting to the stores during open hours
- To have materials on hand for CED Students when they need them
- To carry supplies in the required sizes (35 lbs of concrete is heavy on a bike, if all you need is 5 lbs!)
- To provide green, sustainable, and quality materials
- To help subsidize Undergraduate Fee Waivers.
Net revenue generated from the Store is distributed 60% to fund the Undergraduate Fee Waiver program and 40% to subsidize the store.
What is Available?
- Lumber (Bass, Maple, Walnut, VG Douglas Fir, and Cherry)
- Plywood (Russian Birch and ACX)
- Plastic (Acrylic, Styrene, and Pet-G)
- Bits and Blades (for Blade Cutter and CNC)
- Metal (sheet metal, and flat, round, square or angled bars)
- Paper (Cflute, Chipboard, and Epson photo paper)
- Archive and CED faculty/staff books and Student Journals
- CED branded items (thermos, tote bags, buttons, posters, flash drives, scarves, mugs, etc.)
- Supplies for those last minute needs (blue tape, staples, push-pins, knives, etc.)
Methods of Payment
- PaperCut account ($1 minimum). To set up a PaperCut account speak with Manager Jill Martin in #477.
- Cal1 Card ($5 minimum).
- Credit Card ($10 minimum)
Please note: there are no refunds or exchanges for any item purchased in the Materials Store. Please be sure of an item before you purchase it. The Managers and Mechanicians in the Digital Lab and Shop will provide guidance if needed.