Henry Lagorio, Professor Emeritus of Architecture and former Associate Dean of the College of Environmental Design at UC Berkeley, died on October 2, 2013.
Henry (Hank) J. Lagorio attended Oakland Technical High School and studied architecture at UC Berkeley with Harold Stump, Michael Goodman, and Stafford Jory, receiving a Bachelor of Architecture in 1944 and a Master of Architecture in 1945. He served in the army following his graduation. Upon his discharge from the army, he received a job offer from Gordon Sproul to teach first-year architecture courses at UC Berkeley as an assistant professor, beginning his long career in design education.
From 1947 until his retirement, Lagorio served as a professor in the Department of Architecture, where he was a much beloved and respected teacher and colleague. A licensed architect and member of the AIA, he also served as Director of the UC Berkeley Center for Environmental Design Research and Director of the UC Study Center in Italy. He published widely in the areas of architecture and earthquake engineering, design and seismic hazards reduction, and the assessment of earthquake vulnerability. He was also an active contributor to public policy, serving as a member of the California Seismic Safety Commission.
Lagorio was long affiliated with EERI (Earthquake Engineering Research Institute). He served as Secretary-Treasurer EERI, served on its Board of Directors, was on many key EERI committees, and served on the Editorial Board of Earthquake Spectra. He was also a Program Director at the National Science Foundation, where he established research programs focusing on seismic rehabilitation and repair of existing buildings.
A funeral mass will be held on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:30am -- Newman Hall - Holy Spirit Parish, 2700 Dwight Way at College Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704.