College of Environmental Design

Financial Aid

Fellowships at the College of Environmental Design

Each year, the College of Environmental Design has available a limited number of merit-based and need-based fellowships for domestic and international students. Students interested in applying for fellowship assistance must complete Part C of the application. Fellowships may cover all or part of the registration fees and/or Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition. The college does its best to allocate fellowship funds equitably, keeping both student need and merit in mind. Some fellowships are by faculty nomination only.

The University awards through competition a limited number of merit-based and diversity fellowships each year. See University Fellowships for further details. It is beneficial for applicants to seek financial support independent of University sources. International students may look for fellowships from their home countries or through international agencies.

Student Employment

Graduate students may apply for graduate student instructor (GSI) and graduate student researcher (GSR) appointments, which may reduce the registration fees. GSI and GSR positions are announced each semester. Though incoming students are eligible to apply, these positions are competitive, and preference is often given to continuing students who have demonstrated their proficiency in the course subjects. For more information, contact the student affairs officers or see GSI/Reader Positions.

Work-study is a federally-subsidized hourly wage job program for undergraduate and graduate students. Contact the Work-Study Program Office via their website or in-person at 212 Sproul Hall for more information on work-study opportunities at UC Berkeley.

Students looking for outside employment may contact the CED Career Services Office and/or UC Berkeley Career Center for listings and resources.

Prizes and Awards

The college and departments offer a number of cash prizes and awards that students may apply for. More information may be obtained from department advisers or the Prizes and Awards section of this website.

Financial Aid

Federal and University loans are available to students through the Office of Financial Aid, 201 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley; Berkeley, CA 94720-1960. See Financial Aid for further details. U.S. federal financial aid is not available to students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States.