Many students are interested in taking advantage of CED's rich array of programs and courses, either to test the intellectual waters or gain a new set of technical skills.
A good way to do either is by adding an undergraduate minor or enrolling in a concurrent degree program. CED offers seven undergraduate minors, and a range of concurrent degree programs both within the college and beyond. In addition, some undergraduates are keen to choose their own path, by designing an individual major.
Along with majors in architecture, landscape architecture, sustainable environmental design and urban studies, CED offers an individual major for students who wish to explore an area of study appropriate to the college but not available through one of the other undergraduate major programs.
The undergraduate minor programs at CED are designed to complement the college major programs. Minor programs, both within and outside CED, offer CED students the opportunity to broaden the major field and develop specialized knowledge and skills in related areas of interest.
Minors Within CED
- City and Regional Planning
- Environmental Design and Urbanism in Developing Countries
- History and Theory of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning
- History of the Built Environment
- Social and Cultural Factors in Environmental Design
- Sustainable Design
Minors Outside CED
Minors in other schools and colleges at UC Berkeley of particular interest to CED students include (but are not limited to):
- Disability Studies (College of Letters and Science)
- Energy Engineering (College of Engineering)
- Geospatial Information Science and Technology (College of Natural Resources)
- Global Poverty and Practice (College of Letters and Science)
- Structural Engineering (College of Engineering)
Concurrent Graduate Programs
Recognizing the increasingly crucial need for professionals, teachers and scholars with the knowledge and skills of more than one discipline, graduate students at CED have a range of concurrent degree options.
Concurrent Programs Within CED
- Building and Site Design/Ecological Factors (Master of Architecture/Master of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning)
- Building and Site Design/Regional Planning (Master of Architecture/Master of City and Regional Planning)
- Environmental Planning (Master of City and Regional Planning/Master of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning)
- Urban Design (Master of City and Regional Planning/Master of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning)